Sunday, February 27, 2011

Avial-certainly a revival!



Blogging has become impossible with the time juggle I am in to. Today has turned to be one of those run dry days when i don't see my friends online or available on phone...so sat down to post. Life is treating me fairly good no doubt...but driving here shakes the hell out of me.  I hang on to dear horn and kick the brake pedal probably the number of times breathe in there.  My friends in the US have been telling about the temperatures raising there. Well it's the same here but just that it doesn't bring in smiles n plans but brings with it a lot more than one can bargain for : the power shut downs n water problems. Done with all my negative note now to the positive mode , this post is dedicated to my best friend from my childhood days...seems to be her husband's favorite dish....so here u go dear S... hope Mr R enjoys this!
Now about the recipe...it is a wonderful assortment of veggies simmered in coconut paste and in the end lightly coated with a creamy yogurt and seasoned with hing and curry leaves in hot coconut oil. Now to say more about it, it is a kerala dish, tastes heavenly . The subtle spices add to the taste of the dish. The choice of the vegetables play a very important role here. Tastes best when eaten with rice or adai.

Ingredients

vegetables cubed-200gms(carrots,beans,white pumkin,yam,chow chow)
green chilles-5 nos
jeera-1tsp
coconut grated- half a coconut (medium size)
coconut oil-2tsps
curry leaves-a few
hing-1/4 tsp
salt to taste
yoghurt-2 tbls 

Method

Grind the coconut along with jeera and green chillies and keep aside. Cook the veggies till tender and then turn in the ground paste, add salt and simmer it for sometime. Once your required consistency is reached,  turn off the stove and stir in the yogurt and season it with hing and curry leaves. Serve it with rice or adai.






 

30 comments:

  1. wow...avial looks appetizing...love d healthy color..:D
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy and delicious,wonderful click !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. delicious combination with coconut fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi viji, i love avial shivi too. one feedback is add the curd when the avial becomes warm so that it tastes better. try. happy cooking. be blessed by the divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A classic..loved your pics n recipe!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aviyal looks delicious, my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Soundradevi..will definitely try it! Thanks for suggesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we too make it in the same way.always my family's fav. yours look very yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to c ur blog...Good collection of recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aviyal looks delicious,this is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a perfect dish to dedicate to your friend..love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good viji!I make in the same way though my mom makes it a little different,I'll check with her on the twist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aviyal looks delicious, my recipe is bit different I add raw mango instead of curd. Nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can understand ur time juggle.
    The avial looks so tempting.

    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  15. that looks so delicious..
    Love this..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely dish, simply irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice play on words! I like and make avial excatly like you have with some gravy as opposed to the thick over-veggied ones - I have yet to blog mine altho the photos have been waiting for over a month - thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely :) i will give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just the dish i was looking for to go with adai, Thanks viji :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Avial is my favorite dish too... yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  21. so.. neither my dad nor i. would forget the day we had adai/avial at ur house .. masab tank/mahaveer hospital road.. a day/dish to remember

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my favourite since childhood, I love the flavours in it. Looks so yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi viji, first time here!! Avial looks divine.. we prepare this in a bit different way but ur version looks gr8.. will try this soon!
    following u..

    ReplyDelete
  24. First time here...avial is my favourite...this looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did you see the reply I posted for your query about bread flour?
    Hope everything is fine with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aviyal always rockz !!

    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Viji - Please do collect your Liebster Award(Favorite Blog Award) from http://secondattemptinblogging.blogspot.in/2013/03/my-first-ever-blog-award-liebster-award_15.html

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your comments and feedbacks which will help me through my culinary voyage!