Thursday, June 24, 2010

Collards kichdi-The one pot meal!




This wonderful kichdi filled our rumbling tummies the afternoon i ran out ideas to cook. I know you must  think it to be odd to have kicidi for lunch. But it is best  to have it for lunch than for dinner for it is high in calories.This invention in my kitchen happened when i was reminded of "Arisiyum parrrupu sadam" which my friend used to make. I remembered the taste but not the exact the do-hows of the recipe. Calling my friend was not a great idea for she was in a different time zone. One thought lead to the other and thus this yummylicious recipe was born. A great way to eat eat dhal, greens and less of rice and still feel satisfied .
Now this dish found its way in to my kitchen for i could use only what i had. I know for kichidi one uses basmati rice but i used  ponni raw rice .Addition of tomatoes made it more sticky  but since we like it that way it was fine. So tomatoes can be an optional ingredient.It is one satisfying meal i can bet! Tastes great with a raita, papad  and pickle.

Ingredients

1 cup rice and moong dhal mixed(half and half)
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
3 green chillies slit
1 cup chopped collards
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 tbsp onions chopped
1" cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp jeera
1/4 tsp hing
2 tsp oil
salt to taste
1 tsp ghee(optional)

Method

Wash the rice and dhal , drain it and lightly fry it in a skillet without oil and keep aside.Now pour the oil in to the skillet and season it with the cinnamon ,jeera and hing. Once they splutter add the green chillies and onions and fry it it glossy and then add ginger-garlic paste and cook till done. Now add the tomatoes and collards and sauté them lightly and add the rice and dhal to it and give it a good mix.Transfer the contents to a rice cooker and add 3 cups of water and salt to taste. When done pour the ghee over and mix it. Serve it hot with raita /pickle/papad.

10 comments:

  1. wow...tempting to grab it right now..nice click

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful Kichadi..healthy and delicious..will surely try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really delicious and yummy one.. this kind of recipes are always welcome.. one pot meal..

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you?
    I like this Khichdi recipe...being a Bong we cook diff types of khuchdi... I am adding it to my list.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the khichidi I used to have from my friends home but the recipe was somewhat different.

    The kichdi looks nice and recipe is worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ! Hope you are doing good. Just cam back after a long vacation :-) I love khichdis and this looks terrific..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds easy as well as tasty

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks viji,how is everthing at your end?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luv ur recipes and Yumm blog of urs.Very innovative recipe indeed.Glad to follow U.

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your comments and feedbacks which will help me through my culinary voyage!