Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Eggplant n potato -Gravy in a jiffy





The most common vegetable options in any cuisine would be the eggplant and the potato.They fit in so well when your refrigerator reminds you for the umpteenth time to stock up with veggies.These pals don't let u down so easily. Potatoes are skirt-chasers too! They don't fail to please a fair palate. I know many from my own group who vote for "I love anything with aloo". Eggplant despite being a wiser one than potato, does not top in votes but definetly one of the next preffered veggies. I love them both because they are so versatile. Yes i can hear my calorie alarm go off but who cares for calories in a gravy when you are just going to eat a few ladles of it. Now that is what i would call smart eating, balancing the calorie alarm and your crave bell!
This is one easy-weezy-breezy recipe which i keep doing all the time.Never knew its importance until the other day when my friends who were here for lunch were in raves about the dish. My friend wanted to know the exact mesurements of the spices in to it because she could not believe when i told her that it was just sambar powder and garam masala. So the next time i made it managed to click it and measure my ingredients. It is a great side for rotis, rice,idlis and dosas. A real quick one too!

Ingredients

1 cup eggplant cubbed
1 cup potatoes cubbed
1 cup onions chopped
1 cup tomatoes chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
marble sized tamarind pulped
2 tsp sambar powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2" cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp jaggery
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
cilantro for garnish.


Method

In a skillet add the oil and for seasoning add the fennel seeds and cinnamon stick. Now add the onions and garlic and saute them until glossy. Meanwhile microwave the veggies together with some water for 5 minutes and keep it aside. Now to the skillet after the onions and garlic is done, add the tomatoes and saute it for 2 minutes or till the skin peel off and then add the tamarind pulp. When this mixture starts boiling add the veggies along with what water may remain and add the sambar powder and let it cook .Once done add the garam masala and salt and jaggery.Garnish with cilantro.

16 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for dropping by,gravy looks delicious,love the ingredients used...very flavourful gravy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egg plant n potato gravy looks great n perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never combined egg with any vegetable as such.gravy looks gud and it is an interesting combination.guess u can have it as a side dish for chappathi's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a delicious combo..sambar powder and jaggery sounds very interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Viji,

    potato gravy looks really good. and nice. thank for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats looks so spicy and yummy! I love the addition og jaggery in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. delicious curry looks really great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, the curry looks so good...eggplants and potatoes are such a lovely and tasty combination...nice click :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love eggplant but have never combined it with potatoes. It sounds delicious and I must try it!

    By the way, I see you live in Cary, NC. I live in Cary, IL; the only two in the country! I'd much rather live in yours where the winter is warmer!!! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Sushma,Satya,Rekha,krishnaveni and Gita for stopping by leaving your comments.Keep coming in.
    @Gulmohar and @Ann jaggery balances the taste here.A dash of that is good in any gravy.
    @Pam Nice to know that u live in Cary IL,and yes winters are not bad here.You are welcome anytime to visit us.Thank you for stopping by and penning a few lines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eggplants are super low in calories so I say eat up! These two veggies definitely never fail in my kitchen either. I love the sound of this gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect with hot rice as well as roti!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like u said...these are the 2 veggies left in my pantry. Its been high time that i stock up my veggies. i have made aaloo baingan, also eggplant puli kolumbu...but this is a nice new invention. maybe i will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a delicious combo..sounds good..must try this...

    ReplyDelete
  15. love egg plant..recipe sounds delicious...nice click...bumped in here for the first time...nice blog with delicious collections of recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  16. delicious combo. even i make dry curry with thes veggies. And ading jaggery sounds so yumm.

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your comments and feedbacks which will help me through my culinary voyage!