Wednesday, November 25, 2009

China gourd and channa dhal curry



This was absolutely a new veggie for me. But definitely wanted  to try my hand at that. The method i devised to make this curry is a safe one which can be applied pretty much for any vegetable of the same kind. A safe way to handle our  not so familiar ones. I should say it was very good and  was almost like ridge gourd. Hubby was skeptical about it first but polished off his plate later and wanted more too. Thanks to my enthusiasm to try using newer veggies available here in US that i end up incorporating them in to our traditional menus. The results and responses have been good so far!




Ingredients

4 tablespoons channa dhal
3 green chillies
2 gourds chopped
1 teaspoon sambar powder
1 tomato chopped
2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon urad dhal
1 teaspoon jeera
1/2 teaspoon hing
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
salt to taste

Method

Soak the channa dhal in the water for an hour and then cook in the microwave along with water for 8 minutes high. If you don't want to use the microwave just cook it in an open kettle along with water till it is 3/4th cooked and keep aside. Now in a skillet heat up the oil and add the mustard, urad, jeera , and turmeric. Once they start splattering add the chiilies and the tomatoes. Saute it for 3 minutes and then add the chopped gourd and the channa dhal along with a little water and add the sambar powder and salt and cook till done.Doesn't take very long for the gourd to get cooked. Serve it with rice or rotis.

8 comments:

  1. Nice combo. Absolutely new dish for me. Looks delicious.
    Please collect your award from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried this veggie...interesting recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks alot for visiting my blog..Dal looks really good.Perfect with rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, thank you a lot about the kind visit, your blog is very interesting and there are great recipes! Have become your follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never used to like gourds. But this looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i too never tried this veggie.sounds new and interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice. thank for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fabulous! I am so glad I discovered your blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your comments and feedbacks which will help me through my culinary voyage!